Slathered over fried chicken, french fries, turkey or biscuits.. this gravy will make you swoon! Not to mention that it's low carb, gluten, grain free and paleo.. I like it better than any other gravy I've ever had.
The secret is in the carmelized onions.. they add such depth of flavor. You may be tempted to eat this gravy like soup.. it's just that good.
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter (dairy or nondairy.) * I love either Kerrygold butter or Earth Balance.
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Starch (Potato Starch, Arrowroot or Tapioca)
- 5-6 Tablespoons of Blanched Almond Flour.
- 1 1/4 Cup of Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Heavy Cream OR Heavy Coconut Milk (optional)
- 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
- salt to taste.
- To a sauce pan add the butter , onions and pepper. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so until caramelized (a beautiful golden brown color and cooked through) .
- Add the Starch and Almond Flour. Stir for 1 minute and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir and gently boil until thick. If you want your gravy thicker feel free to add an additional 2-3 TBS of almond flour.
- Salt to taste. At this point I like to put the gravy in the food processor to get it 100% smooth (by grinding up the onions) but this step is 100% optional.
- Gravy will thicken as it cools.