'Wake up in the morning, put my feet on the floor, do the 50 yard dash to the...kitchen floor? ' Okay, I'm pretty sure the song lyrics end in bathroom floor but honestly, I'd rather be in the kitchen. Isn't that shocking?? But anyways this coffee cake drives me to wake up and be in the kitchen. Not only does it live up to the name because it ACTUALLY has coffee in it but it is absolutely delectable, light and fluffy. This is a winner right here.
- 1/2 Cup blanched Almond Flour
- 3 TBS Starch
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar or Palm Sugar
- 3 1/2 TBSP Butter, Melted (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1/2 Cup Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1 TBSP Heavy Cream or Heavy Coconut Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 TBSP Ground Coffee (optional)
- 2 Cups Packed Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Potato Starch
- 3/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (or xylitol, truvia baking blend etc)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Milk (dairy or nondairy) or Water
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare crumb topping in a bowl, by mixing almond flour, starch, brown sugar, melted butter and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- In a saucepan put in Coffee Flavored Caramel ingredients (butter, palm sugar, heavy cream, a pinch of salt and ground coffee). Remember the caramel is OPTIONAL in this recipe! Heat up until caramel boils and then lower heat to low
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the dry ingredients for the coffee cake once mixd through add in the melted coconut oil, eggs, Vanilla Extract, Milk and Lemon Juice.
- Line a 7 x 7 (or 8 x 9) baking pan with parchment paper and add half the coffee cake batter. Pour in half of the caramel than layer with remaining batter, and pat down with a spatula. If the spatula sticks to the batter spray it with non-stick spray or dip in oil.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel.
- Top with crump topping.
- Place in oven for 50 minutes.
To make Paleo: Use coconut palm sugar in place of sugars used in this recipe!