December 31, 2012
Salted Caramel Chocolate Fondue
FINALLY. Real Sustenance is 100% fixed. Apologies for my spotty service the last week- It started on the day before Christmas Eve just as everyone was trying to log on and make recipes for the holiday. Basically, I reached my resource limit and needed to move to a new much larger dedicated server. Too much traffic is nothing to complain about- I'm so appreciative that so many of you continue to find yourselves here!
I figured I would kick off the new year with Chocolate Fondue. I don't believe in diets, I believe in eating well year round. And yes, eating well can include dessert here and there.
I prepared for you today 2 chocolate base recipes. Pick whichever one works best for you! The first recipe is simpler and requires a bag of allergen free chocolate.The second recipe has more ingredients but can be made sugar free.
For those that cannot have nuts OR sugar try mixing together some cocoa powder, coconut oil + a little heavy cream, vanilla extract, sugar (liquid or powdered-see note below to make sugar free powdered sugar) and a pinch of salt. (No, sorry I don't have exact measurements to share today)
- 2 Cups Allergen Free Chocolate Chips (such as enjoy life).
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (For dairy free use Heavy Coconut Milk from a can OR MimicCreme. )
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave and then whisk in heavy cream. Set aside.
- 1 cup heavy cream ( For dairy free use Heavy Coconut Milk from a can OR MimicCreme.)
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (more can be used if you wish)
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- Powdered or Liquid Sugar of choice to taste. (See note below)
- pinch of salt.
- Soak the cashews in the heavy cream for several hours (preferably overnight). Once softened pour the cream, cashews and remaining ingredients into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. If you want the chocolate a little bit thinner up to an additional 1/4 cup of "cream" can be added
- 1/4 Cup Butter (Real Butter Or Earth Balance) OR Coconut Oil.
- 1/2 Cup Palm Sugar or Sucanat.
- 2 1/2 Tbs Cream (For dairy free use Heavy Coconut Milk from a can OR MimicCreme)
- Course Sea Salt (to taste).
- Combine the butter, palm sugar and cream in a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Gently boil just until thickened.
- Into your fondue serving dish pour a layer of chocolate, then a later of caramel.
- Topping with a second layer of chocolate and finally drizzle the top with caramel and sprinkle with course sea salt.
- Serve Warm. (The caramel, and the recipe for the chocolate chips option 1 will thicken as it cools which is not work quite as well for dipping.)
Recipes Notes and Substitutions:
- To make this recipe SUGAR FREE make your own powdered sugar using either xyltiol or erythritol. You can do this by processing it in a coffee grinder until it is powdery. For the stevia lovers: stevia tends to take bitter in chocolate- the one exception to this is Nunaturals Vanilla Liquid Stevia, I use it in chocolate on occasion and think it may work as a sweetener option here too.
- Additionally, to make this recipe SUGAR FREE you'll need to leave out the caramel.
- If leaving out the caramel try flavoring the chocolate in different and equally fun ways by introducing a little extract with the flavor of your choice to either chocolate recipe. You could use: Mint, Orange, Hazelnut, Cherry.. all of these extracts will taste amazing with the chocolate.