December 30, 2012
Dairy Free Cheesy Fondue
What could be better than a hot pot of cheesy fondue with crudites and finger foods galore on New Years Eve?
I got excited about this idea.. until I remembered that my husband will not touch goat or sheep's cheese (which currently are my only cheese options). He on the other hand can have raw cow's milk cheese which tends to be a no-go for me. Fondue is all about sharing, and what fun would it be if we both couldn't enjoy one pot?
A compromise. I had to come up with one. A cheesy fondue that could be enjoyed by both of us. I spend the day toying in the kitchen with different ingredients and finally this recipe was born!
Think beyond fondue- it works fabulous over noodles for a mock mac & cheese, it can be served over steamed veggies, a baked potato or just about anything else that cheese typically tastes good with.
PLEASE NOTE: Though this sauce is DELICIOUS it flavor comes from the nutritional yeast used. It has a cheesiness to it, and the texture is awesome.. but keep in mind that it is not cheese, and is not going to taste exactly like cheese. It shines in its own special way!
- 1/2 - 3/4 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 Tbs Starch (Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato)
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4- 1/2 Tsp. Hot or Sweet Paprika (I used 1/4 tsp of each!)
- 1/2 Tsp Prepared Mustard
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Nondairy Milk (or water)
- 1/4- 1/3 Cup Butter or Oil. (I used Earth Balance, Goat Butter, Ghee or Olive Oil will also work).
- Combine all ingredients in sauce pan. (Starting with only 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup of butter). Turn on stove and whisk while it heats and thickens.
- Once thick feel free to add the additional Almond flour if you want it thicker, and butter if you want it creamier. If you do add more continue to heat until the "cheese" further thickens.
Serve warm with a variety of finger foods such as: steamed or raw brocolli, baby carrots, sliced bell peppers, baby tomatoes, slices of toasted bread (grain free in our case!) salami, pepperoni, meat-balls, hot dogs, roasted cauliflower, roasted parsnips, crackers etc.