Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Cake. (Grain/Gluten/Dairy/Soy Free) With directions to make sugar free.
December 9, 2012
Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Cake
After receiving literally hundreds of comments from various readers that they made and loved my Cranberry Orange"Buttermilk" Breakfast Cake the idea for this spin-off recipe came to mind.
This cake is SO good... that's all you need to know. Make it and love it..its my Christmas (or Holiday) gift to you!
- 1/4 Cup Milk or Water (any variety: dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Packed Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Starch (Potato, Tapioca or Arrowroot)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder (double acting if you have it!)
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil (Or melted butter or other oil)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- 2.5 Tbs Maple Syrup or Agave.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small cake pan or bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the Milk (or water) or your choice with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the Almond Flour, Starch, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt and stir well. Add in the Melted Coconut Oil, Eggs Vanilla, Milk (or water).
- Scoop out 1/3 cup of the batter into a small bowl. To that batter add the cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Pour the (white) batter into the parchment lined pan. Then drizzle the (brown) cinnamon batter over top in a marble like swirly pattern.
- Place in oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes- A toothpick should come out clean. Let cool slightly before slicing
Store at room temperature in a sealed container or freeze for another day!
Substitutions & Ideas:
- DO NOT try to substitute for coconut (ever!) they don't work the same. If you have a problem with almonds- use another nut or seed flour instead.
- I know that many of you avoid sugar and starch. I had a reader convert my last breakfast cake to work for these dietary needs. Since this recipe is almost the same- it should work here as well. Here is the comment she left me : " I used 1/2 Tbsp Glucomannan powder (instead of starch), I increased the Baking powder to 2 1/2 tsp and I added an additional egg white. Instead of Cane sugar I used xylitol. I mixed the eggs/xylitol with a hand mixer until it was light and frothy (that helped the consistency a lot!). I baked it at 330 degrees for 55 minutes."
- Feel free to sub out the cane sugar for another lower glycemic sweetener like Coconut Palm Sugar. Keep in mind that if the sugar you select is dark in color- that will effect the color of the cake too!
- For those of you looking for a non- glycemic maple syrup I use and really like Joseph's Sugar Free Maple Flavor Syrup. It can be purchased at whole foods or ordered online.
- Want to have some fun? Make this into a zebra breakfast cake. Divide the batter in half and put the cinnamon and maple in half of the batter. If you want the batter to be darker- add more cinnamon than I have called for. Here's a youtube video that shows how to make a zebra cake.