Sugar Free Shamrock Shake
I LOVE finding ways to make shakes and smoothies without fruit or sugar.
When you aren't using fruit, ice cream or something of the sort as a thickener you need to come up with an alternative to give a smoothie or shake body . I depend heavily on my ice cube tray. In the past I used it to freeze pumpkin puree and sweet potato puree to add to fall flavored smoothies. This time around the magic happened with yogurt.
Frozen cubes of yogurt makes for an instantly wonderful ice cream like shake. The best part? You can use ANY variety of yogurt. Dairy or Nondairy! I opted for a plain goats milk yogurt- but I would also feel great about using Coconut or Almond Yogurt. You could even get away with freezing kefir. Keep in mind that all yogurt does have some sugar either naturally or added. In cow and goats milk the lactose (a natural sugar) allows for the good bacteria to grow. In coconut or almond based yogurt typically a little sweetener need to be added also for the bacteria. Your best bet is to always buy the plain variety as it will have the least amount of sugar.
This recipe is incredibly healthy- and would be a fantastic way to sneak your kids some veggies.
- 6 cubes of plain or vanilla frozen yogurt or kefir. (dairy or nondairy)
- 1/2 of a large avocado.
- handful or fresh mint leaves (or peppermint extract to taste)
- Unsweetened Dairy or Nondairy Milk (add as much as you want for desired thickness)
- Nunaturals Stevia to taste.
- Optional: Add in some frozen spinach to make your smoothie extra green and more nutritionally dense.
- Spoon yogurt into 1 ice cube tray. Place into freezer until frozen solid.
- Place all smoothie ingredients into the blender- add as much milk and stevia as you desire.