Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
Each year as we gather around for the holiday meals I must admit that generally I've lost the thrill of excitement that once manifested in me as a child. At this point I know exactly how the mashed potatoes are going to taste, the turkey will taste like turkey and on. Its not that I don't love these classic recipes, but my taste buds.. they're bored.
When I'm hosting dinner or bring a dish to pass I love throwing in a surprise ingredient. This little extra something often gains me my favorite response " Oh my god! This is amazing. What the heck did you put in here? I never knew this could taste so good".
I do this often. Sometimes I share my secret ingredient, other-times I keep it to myself. Who doesn't love being begged to bring the same dish the following year?
Last year I added some espresso grounds to my caramel frosting for a giant platter of cinnamon rolls. They were devoured. That one little added touch sent their flavor over the top.
This year- I'll be adding some fresh ginger to my sugar free cranberry sauce. Trust me. Its surprisingly delicious.
- 3 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- Zest of 1 small Orange.
- 1/4 tsp- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh grated Ginger.
- Nunatural's Stevia to taste.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and boil gently until cranberries have popped and thickened. Add stevia until you reach the sweetness of your preferance.
- Start with 1/4 Tsp of fresh ginger and give it a taste after about a few minutes of cooking- if you want more add up to 1/2 tsp. ( I prefer the whole 1/2 tsp- I love the little kick in flavor.)