Chestnut Flour is a blast to work with, it makes light, fluffy and soft baked goods without needing any eggs. The flour has a strong flavor that reminds me of fall..it tastes phenom combined with cinnamon, ginger and other warm spices.
I've used chestnut flour to make extremely delicious grain free graham crackers- so I just had to try my hand at making some baked donuts with this same graham cracker flavor!
What goes with graham cracker flavored donuts?? Marshmallows and chocolate of course. And boy did this idea turn out delicious. I was ecstatic with how beautiful these donuts turned out. So much so that I made an extra batch to share with my family and some really cute kids. They were a crowd pleaser.
For the marshmallows I used my organic marshmallow recipe- and I made them from scratch to use just for this recipe. I only needed about 1/4 of the marshmallow from that recipe for these donuts. The rest I just stuck in a prepared pan (as the recipe calls for). My homemade marshmallows melt fabulously in a skillet over medium-low heat.
Feel free to use a donut maker -instead of using the oven!
- 1 1/4 cup chesnut flour
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk flavored oil or melted butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1/2-3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (any other granulated sugar should also work!)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder (I use double acting)
- pinch of salt
- Marshmallows melted is a saucepan. (Store bought or my Organic Marshmallow Recipe. )
- Melted Dairy Free Chocolate Chips. (Melt in microwave for roughly 1 minute in small bowl)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2-3 donut pans by first spraying with non-stick spray and dusting with flour to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, applesauce, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, oil, sugar, baking powder and salt until it forms a thick batter similar to cupcakes.
- Fill the donut holes half way and bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke them.
- Allow the donuts to cool.
- Drizzle them with melted marshmallows and either melted chocolate or chocolate chips. (I did a combo of each) *NOTE: To melt marshmallows stick them in a sauce pan over medium-low heat and stir. I like to melt mine with about a tablespoon of earth balance butter- it just makes the process easier. A mild flavored oil or regular butter should work too!.