Instead of loading it up with lots of oil and cheese, I've made an addicting simple pesto using avocado and loads of creamy roasted garlic to create a decadent texture and flavor. For an extra spin, I added cilantro and lime to brighten up the flavors. With this dish, you won't even miss alfredo sauce OR traditional cheesy pesto , its the best of both worlds!
Need to eat low carb? Try using Spaghetti Squash, Zucchini "noodles", Miracle Noodles, or Kelp Noodles instead.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- juice of one lime (about 1 Tablespoon)
- zest of half a lime
- 20 peeled cloves of roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste.
- a bag (12 oz) of your favorite gluten free pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the unpeeled cloves in a small sheet of tin foil, drizzle with olive oil, and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the cloves get slightly brown and soft. Make sure the foil is slightly open.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, jalapeno pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper until it forms a paste. Add the garlic, and the olive oil it was roasted in and pulse again.
- Combine with your favorite gluten-free pasta! It can be served hot or cold.