I had such a blast making this watermelon "cake'. And to my surprise..it really did transform into something that became much more exciting to eat then your basic slice of watermelon. I have seen this concept done before, except the recipe I spotted used whipped cream. I tried making my cake with whipped cream and it melted right off the top and make a big ugly mess. Plan B became a simple dairy free frosting - and it worked like a charm! I made this frosting sturdy enough so that it would hold up to warm picnic weather. I recommend making this "cake" a few hours in advance- sticking it in the fridge to keep the watermelon chill and to give the frosting the opportunity to get nice and hard. This will give you a fail proof dessert that is both gorgeous and incredibly delicious on a hot summer day.
To make this frosting sugar free- throw some xylitol, erythritol or another non-glycemic sugar alcohol of choice into a coffee grinder or high powdered blender and process until it becomes a fluffy powder. Use it in place of the powdered sugar I have called for.
If using a large watermelon you may want to double the frosting recipe.
Red White & Blue Watermelon “Cake”.
For the frosting
- 1 small to medium sized watermelon
- 1 -2 cups of blueberries and strawberries, or your favorite combination of berries to arrange on top
- 1/2 cup spectrum shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- tiny pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon butter (regular or earth balance for nondairy)
2.6http://brittanyangell.com/red-white-and-blue-watermelon-cake-with-directions-to-make-sugardairy-free/This is an original recipe by Brittany Angell.
- To make the frosting, combine all of the frosting ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Slice off the top, bottom, and sides of the watermelon and "trim" so that it resembles the shape of a cake.
- Pat the top dry with a paper towel and decorate with frosting and your favorite assortment of berries. To make the little stars- use a small cookie cutter to cut into semi thin slices of watermelon. These stars act as awesome decoration.
- Store in the fridge- cover once the frosting has gotten hard.