This recipe swaps out grains and uses riced cauliflower, a ridiculously good (and low carb) accompaniment to the cheddar and cream cheeses in this indulgent dish. This is a perfect side for a southern brunch with biscuits and sausage, or serve it just on its own!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken broth
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon Starch (Potato, Tapioca or Arrowroot)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 jar or 4 oz pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Blend a small head of cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it has a rice like consistency.
- Over medium heat bring the "riced" cauliflower, , chicken broth, starch and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan until thick.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions in the oil until translucent and add to the cauliflower grits.
- Add the cheeses, spices, and pimentos.
- Stir over medium heat until the cheese has melted and the grits are thick.
NOTE:for Strict keto omit the starch!!