Ok, yum! Please give me a minute. I can't speak when I'm thinking about this recipe. I'm just so excited about these Peppermint Patties!! I have to be honest though, I had to feed them to my friends because I just couldn't be trusted around them! And if you are wondering, my friends loved them just as much as I did!
- 2 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (*See substitution notes below)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Nectar
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1 Tbsp Palm Shortening
- Pinch of salt
- 10 oz. Chocolate Chips (dairy or nondairy)
- In a mixer mix powdered sugar, coconut nectar, water, peppermint extract, shortening and a pinch of salt on medium speed until combined.
- Once dough has formed, roll out between parchment paper to 1/4 inch thick, and place in freezer for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Take dough out of the freezer and cut out rounds. Place rounds in the freezer for an additional 10 minutes. With leftover dough re-roll out and place in freezer, cut out rounds, and repeat until dough is all used.
- Chocolate coating: melt chocolate in the microwave.
- Take the peppermint rounds out of the freezer and place a small doll-up of chocolate on each and delicately coat the chocolate over the peppermint rounds.
Feel free to add a tiny bit of coconut oil to melted chocolate if it is too thick to thin it out slightly. Additionally if you find the dough is too flimsy to work with feel free to add a couple Tablespoons or so of Tapioca Starch! (Powdered sugar would also work- but adding more may make them way too sweet!) .
To make this recipe Sugar Free- use my homemade Sugar Free Chocolate Recipe instead of store bought chocolate.
White powdered sugar isn't the only option for this recipe. You can make your own powdered sugar from ANY granulated sugar of choice. To do this simply place granulated sugar into a high powered blender or into a coffee grinder and pulse until powdered. To make these sugar free Powder Xyitol or Truvia Baking Blend can be used (or another sugar alcohol of choice).
Instead of Coconut Nectar feel free to use Agave or Honey.