I started by creating a basic soft peanut butter cookie with just the perfect amount of crunch on the outside. You can't have an amazing cookie without the combo of textures. THEN- just for fun I added a twist? Bacon. It tastes incredible with peanut butter! It adds a great texture, a little bit of saltiness, and a depth of flavor that kind of blew my socks off. I promise if you love bacon, you will love these!
And if you don't like bacon- feel free to leave it out of the recipe. The cookies will still taste fab.
- 1 packed cup blanched
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar ( I used Palm Sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Tablespoon applesauce (or 1 egg)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (another nut/seed butter of choice should work as well to make a Paleo/Primal version)
- 4 strips of bacon, or 1/2 cup chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start by cooking your bacon strips in a large saute pan until crispy. Chop them up into tiny bite size pieces and set them aside while you prepare the cookie dough.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients until it makes a dough. Mix in the bacon pieces.
- Roll out 10 balls of dough and flatten into cookies with the palms of your hands. Bake for 15-16 minutes until just golden on the edges.
To make these sugar free you could use Xylitol, Truvia Baking Blend or another Sugar Alcohol of choice. I don't recommend stevia.