I just love love LOVE chinese food. Sweet N' Sour chicken is one of my all time faves. In this recipe I tried to keep things simple by keeping the batter the same as in my Asian Style Lemon Chicken Recipe. So technically if you wanted you could make a double batch of the chicken and two different sauces with ease.
I've been studying the dishes over at PF Changs..and duplicating them as close as possible.. except with less salt. As the sodium levels in their food kind of kill me (and thats saying a LOT as I dump salt on everything). So with that said.. here is a crazy delicious healthier version that I'm super excited about. I would serve this to anyone..knowing for a fact they would have no clue the dish is paleo or gluten free.
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1.5 pounds of Chicken Thighs, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Arrowroot or Tapioca
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos (Or Liquid Aminos or GF soy sauce)
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2- 8 oz Pineapple Chunks (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2-3.5 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 tsp fresh grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Starch (Tapioca or arrowroot)
- In a small bowl mix all the ingredients for the batter.
- In a separate bowl mix together ingredients for the coating.
- Drop chicken pieces in the batter and then dredge in the coating.
- Meanwhile heat up a skillet over medium-low heat with 2 T of oil.
- Cook chicken until no longer pink in the middle- turning minimally so that the coating stays on really well. (once fully cooked it will stick on fabulously)
- In a separate sauce pan combine all the sauce ingredients. Simmer until sauce is heated through and has thickened slightly. Add it to the breaded chicken and then serve.