Why isn't Pumpkin Gravy a thing??? When I had the idea for it I was shocked when I didn't see an abundance of recipes for it already online. It needs to be a thing, I can tell you that much and starting today it should be dumped on all things.
Try it with Biscuits and breakfast sausage. Pour it over stuffing and serve it with turkey. Add it to the base of a creamy chicken soup. Basically anywhere regular gravy would be used this can be used instead and it'll taste better than you ever expected.
And if you want to really go big and experience life and all its worth living for try my Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Poutine recipe! It is truly unbelievable!
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter (dairy or nondairy.) * I love either Kerrygold butter or Earth Balance.
- 1 shallot finely chopped.
- 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Starch (Potato Starch, Arrowroot or Tapioca)
- 5 Tablespoons of Blanched Almond Flour.
- 1 Cup of Chicken Broth
- 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbs Heavy Cream OR Heavy Coconut Milk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- To a sauce pan add the butter, and shallot. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so until caramelized (a beautiful golden brown color and cooked through) .
- Add the Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Starch and Almond Flour. Stir for 1 minute and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir and gently boil until thick.
- Salt to taste. At this point I like to put the gravy in the food processor to get it 100% smooth (by grinding up the onions) but this step is 100% optional.
- Gravy will thicken as it cools.
To make this gravy Vegan use earth balance butter and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth!