No party, Sports game or family get together is complete without Pigs in a Blanket. (Ok, maybe thats just the case with my family) But goodness do we LOVE them. I had had had to find a way to recreate one of my favorites without grain and eggs!
Instead of using croissants I pulled out my simple grain free pie crust recipe instead and voila..I had these adorable (and DELICIOUS) little guys.
Paleo Pigs in and Blanket.
- Use 1- 12 ounce package of mini hot dogs (we buy nitrate free ones from Trader Joes!)
- 2 batches of my Grain Free Pie Crust OR if you can't have those ingredients you can use my Patee brisee (nut free) pie crust recipe instead!
- Make the pie crust! (use a full 1/2 tsp of salt per pie crust recipe). Roll the dough about as thick as you a pie crust between two sheet of parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into thin strips (I used a pizza cutter, but a sharp knife will do just fine)
- Roll each mini hot dog up in a strip of pie crust.
- Place on a cookie sheet. Brush each little pig in a blanket with a little water.
- Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. *NOTE: this pie crust does not get very dark or golden when its baked! You'll know the pigs in a blanket are done when the dough is firm to touch and the hot dogs appear to be cooked!
- Remove from oven, serve with ketchup and mustard!