Heres the deal. This chicken is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS. It was one of those things that made me yelll out "OMG!!!!!" after having a taste test. The coating is so crispy and crunchy- while the meat is tender! And the flavor.. I just need you to make these. You'll understand.
Since eggs give me joint pain so bad that I can't move for 2 days.. I found a new way to go about making my crispy tenders. I made a batter out of starch and milk- and added the hot sauce and butter for incredible flavor. It thick and holds the breading perfectly.
The beauty of this recipe is that unlike the KFC version its made from real food and its not actually fried. Its better in so many ways!
- 1 lb Chicken Thighs, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (I use Franks Original Hot Sauce)
- 5 Tbs Butter (Dairy or Nondairy)
- 1 Tbs Starch (Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 5 Tbs Milk (Dairy or Nondairy)
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca (Or Arrowroot or Potato Starch)
- 1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine wet mixture ingredients and heat until thickened in the microwave (1-2 minutes) or on the stove top in a sauce pan. If using the microwave whisk liberally as soon as you remove the bowl. If using the sauce pan- whisk continually while it thickens.
- In another bowl combine breading ingredients.
- Drop chicken strips into wet mixture and then heavily dredge in breading mixture; place on foil lined baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken strips have been coated. Drizzle chicken with a little oil.
- Place chicken in oven for 35-40 minutes; chicken will be golden brown and cooked through!
To make this recipe NUT FREE- use homemade Sunflower Seed Flour instead of the Almond!