Like any recipe developer, I get giddy creating unique, hard to find recipes. Every day 5 days a week for the past almost 4 years now I have been in the kitchen working on something new. Its a rare treat at this point for me to come up with something I have yet to make. With every new recipe idea, I get like a little kid on christmas morning- anxiously staring into the oven, wondering if my creation is going to turn out. After having amazing success with my Paleo Cookie Crisp Cereal Recipe and now these- I can promise you that the cereal fun has just begun. I'm thinking Cocoa Puffs need to happen next..
These little Cinnamon Toast Crunch bites are surreal. They are so crispy and light- they remind me almost of super thin, extra crispy graham crackers. I spent a lot of time working to simplify the recipe so that it could be as easy as possible to throw together- and I'm quite pleased with the end results. Unlike my cookie crisp recipe you won't be piping little pieces of cereal for 30 minutes. With this cereal all you have to do is roll the dough out super thin between two sheets of parchment paper- cut the dough with a pizza cutter into squares (no need to separate the squares) and then bake for 8-9 minutes. Thats it. Easy peasy. As an added bonus this recipe is also EGG FREE!
- 1 1/4 packed cups blanched
- 1 cup Tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking power (I use double acting)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + Tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 3 Tablespoon milk (dairy or non dairy)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients until you form a dough.
- Divide dough into two balls. Roll out the first half as thing as possible between two sheets of parchment (18 inches wide x 12 inches tall). Just as soon as you think you can't get the dough thinner, put some more muscle into making it thinner. ( Your dough should cover a big section of a large standard cookie sheet.) Rub half of the topping onto top of the dough.
- Use a pizza cutter to slide horizontal and vertical lines to create little cinnamon toast crunch squares. Each square should be able about 1/2 an inch by 1/2 and inch. (But precision really isn't important !)
- Transfer the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake for about 8-9 minutes, until golden brown on the top. Let them cool and then break into little squares.
- Note: the outside may bake faster- you may want to remove the outside rows of cereal around the 7 minute mark so that they don't get overcooked and just put the baking sheet back in the oven for the remaining time so that the cereal on the center of the tray gets cooked through as well.
- After removing from oven- allow the cereal to cool fully- and then carefully break apart the rows into squares. (this should be very easy to do! If your cereal doesn't break easily into squares and its not golden brown this is a sign it need another minute in the oven.)
- Repeat with the second half of dough.