Orange Zested Raw Cacao Truffles
You can NEVER go wrong with Orange Zested Raw Cacao Truffles. (and a glass of wine!) Especially when they are as natural and wonderful as this. These were the easiest and MOST decadent treat I have made to date. And honestly if you are a chocolate fan- they might be the best thing you ever place in your mouth. EVER. The coconut oil makes them melt in your melt which contrasts incredibly with their wonderful texture from the raw Cacao nibs.
These Orange Zested Raw Cacao Truffles taste clean and pure and will give you a perk of energy that will keep you running ALL day. Be careful- I'm sensitive to caffeine and I was so crazy about these darling little truffles that I ate 6 mid afternoon the day I and let me just tell you I WAS WIRED. I was also quite productive. Win win situation :)
Making these Orange Zested Raw Cacao Truffles requires just a few ingredients. They aren't the cheapest ingredients- but I assure you these truffles are worth every penny. And you will feel soo good eating and sharing them knowing just exactly what they are made from.
If you have some grand marnier on hand and want to divert slightly from the raw theme- try adding it in place of the Orange Extract. You might even use 2 teaspoons instead of 1. I highly recommend using virgin coconut oil- as it has a a superior taste in this recipe.
Really quick for those of you that are at a loss with the Cacao- Cocoa scenario. Raw Cacao and Raw Cocoa are the same thing. Cacao and Cocoa are both cocoa. Typically the word cacao is associated with raw. Don't let this confuse you. The word to look for is RAW. Raw means it has not been heavily processed under high heat and still contains its extremely amazing nutritional profile. Cacao Nibs are segments of raw cocoa beans. You can buy them in their "nib" form. You can also buy the whole beans. If you do this you will want to peel each bean (by rubbing it between your fingers) and then crush the lovely chocolate bean inside to create "nibs" The peel is a little sour- beware of this before you pop a whole bean in your mouth like I did.
Orange Zested Raw Cacao Truffles
- 3/4 Cup Raw Cacao Powder (You may also use regular unsweetened Cocoa Powder)
- 1 1/2 Cups Pre-Soaked Cashews (soak in warm water roughly 2 hours)
- 3/4 Cup Raw Agave Nextar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Orange Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- zest of 1 Orange
- 3/4 cup melted Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup (Or more) Raw Cacao Nibs
- Using a Powerful blender (such as the vitamix or blendec) OR Using a Cuisinart combine the soaked cashews, Raw Cacao Powder, Agave, Vanilla Extract, Orange Extract, Salt, and the Orange Zest. Combine REALLY well until completely combined and smooth.
- Finally add in the melted Coconut Oil.
- Place the mixture into the fridge and allow it to begin to cool and firm slightly. After about 30 minutes- 1 hour remove from the fridge and roll the truffles into balls. (the size is up to you)
- Roll each truffle in the Cacao nibs. Place the finished truffles into the fridge and give them one more hour to fully cool and solidify. (Your patience will be well rewarded!)
If you cannot track down Cacao Nibs (You should be able to find them in any natural foods store) Feel free to roll the truffles in cocoa powder. (Or Raw Cacao Powder) This is the more traditional way to make truffles and its yummy- but in all honesty has NOTHING on the texture that the raw nibs provide.