Magic Sauce? Yes.
Have you ever had applesauce so good that you kept thinking about it for days? To the point that you got cravings for it. I didn't. I also swore to myself that I would never post an applesauce recipe. I thought that was silly. I figured everyone knew how to make it from scratch. I swore I would only focus all my attention on the fancy over the top recipes. Truth is.. I'm beginning to really embrace simple. I appreciate it.
My mother made these incredible sweet potato stuffed apples on Christmas day. She spiced them to perfection. She inspired me. This sauce is my replication. The flavor is outstanding.. you'll never want to make it any other way again.
Plus, this version is low glycemic! Though of course, you can sweeten this sauce with whatever type of sugar that you like.
- 6 Apples Peeled, Cored and Chopped
- 1 TBS Lemon or Orange Juice
- 1/2- 3/4 Cup Water
- Zest of 1 orange. (You can use just a tsp or the entire orange do this to taste)
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Stevia to taste
- Pinch of Nutmeg (to taste).
- Prepare the apples.
- Place them in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and turn heat to medium low.
- Let the apples cook 10-20 minutes until they are soft enough to mush.
- Add additional water if you like your sauce thinner.
I like to add some coconut milk to mine. It adds a really nice balance to the orange and nutmeg.
Serve warm or cold. Store in the fridge in a sealed container.