These meatball sliders are a down-sized version of a favorite comfort food, the meatball sub. They make a great appetizer, snack, or a fun lunch. By leaving out the bread- the recipe become friendly for a number of different diets. Your friends and family will be so entranced by the crispy potato slider "bun", they won't miss having bread for a second.
This recipe is what I call "Almost Paleo" .. Its much lower carb than your average meat ball sub. To make this 100% paleo feel free to roast up some sliced Celeriac, Turnips or even Jerusalem artichokes to use as your slider base instead.
- 2 medium potatoes
- hefty pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of salt (about 3/4 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 cup blanched
- 1/4 cup of marinara sauce (for basting and topping the sliders)
- Mozarella Cheese Slices. (Nondairy Cheese can be used. If using nondairy: make sure to tent the sliders with tinfoil in the oven so that the cheese melts rather than just burns- nondairy cheese has the tendency to scorch if not cooked properly.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Cut the potatoes into rings, about a 1/4 of an inch thick. Note that the thinner you slice the potatoes the crispier they will get in the oven.
- Line the potato slices onto the pan and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the potatoes and bake for 15 minutes on each side (a total of 30-35 minutes), until browned and crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the meatballs: in a large bowl, combine the meat, , salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and parsley. Roll together about 13 meatballs, each one using approximately 2 Tablespoons of meat each.
- Line a separate baking sheet with tin foil and spread the meatballs out evenly. Baste the meatballs in sauce and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the meatballs and potatoes are done, assemble the sliders: place a meatball on top of the potato and cover with a small spoonful of sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese and broil in the oven until cheese melts.
PS. Love this concept? You might also try my Cilantro and Lime BLT Sweet Potato Sliders!