Nut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chestnut flour though grain free unfortunately is not as high in protein as the other nut/seed flours. Its also a bit starchier. I wanted to create a basic muffin recipe using this flour that was loaded with protein. I make sure each meal includes some form of it to balance my blood sugar and keep my metabolic syndrome issues at bay.
Adding a hefty 1/2 cup of nut or seed butter to my muffin batter was the solution. ( a delicious one at that!) This recipe is for the egg eaters. If you need to avoid them check out my latest recipe for egg free banana bread and carrot cake cupcakes. Chestnut flour makes baked goods really soft and light- these muffins are no exception.
I selected organic palm sugar as I knew its caramel flavor would taste great in this particular recipe. Feel free to using any form of granulated sugar that you prefer (including xylitol).
- 1 medium ripe banana mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup natural nut or seed butter (I used Cashew)
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar ( *see note above)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Tsp Salt.
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder (I use double acting)
- 1/2 packed Cup Chestnut Flour
- Optional: 1/2-1 cup Allergen Free Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life is my have brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 11-12 muffin tins.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon into muffin liners evenly
- Bake 20-23 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool briefly. Store once cooled in a sealed bag or container at room temperature.