Check out this Mozzarella Sticks recipe!
During a recent trip to one of our Co-ops (Lori's Natural Foods) I found Square Block of Mozzarella Daiya Cheese. I instantly knew I HAD to make Mozzarella Sticks. Unfortunately Daiya does not sell it this way- but ask your local co-op if they purchase it in bulk and might be willing to cut you a block. If you cant find Daiya- Feel free to use any other type of Gluten and Dairy Free Cheese- (though Daiya is by far the best)
Chex Cereal works phenomenal as breading for this Mozzarella Sticks recipe- It functions best when very finely crushed. You can do this by running it through a food processor or by placing it in a sealed zip lock bag and crushing with a rolling pin.
If you need these to be corn free- use Potato Starch or Arrowroot Flour instead of Cornstarch.
- 1/4 cup Millet Flour (Or Rice Flour)
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch (Or Potato Starch or Arrowroot)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 2 cups Finely Crushed Chex Cereal
- 1 tablespoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- Oil to Fry Mozzarella Sticks
- 1 Block of Dairy and Gluten Free Cheese
- Slice the Daiya Cheese block (think Mozzarella Sticks- though you can cut them much smaller than that if want ) Keep in mind that they will increase in size when the breading is added. Set aside.
- Get out 3 separate bowls. In the 1st combine the Millet Flour and Cornstarch, In the next bowl combine the water and Ener-G Egg replacer and in the 3rd bowl Combine the Crushed Chex cereal Basil, Salt Pepper and Garlic.
- Place each stick of "cheese" in the Water and Ener-G egg mixture, then place it in the Flour Mixture (Millet & Cornstarch) Make sure the cheese stick is covered well. Then Place the Cheese stick back into the water and Ener-G - Finally drop the cheese sticks into the Crushed Chex mix.
- Set aside until ready to fry.
- Heat Oil- Place Mozzarella Sticks into hot oil. (make sure oil is deep enough that they can submerge fully) Fry until golden Brown. (Just a few minutes)
- Place on a Paper towel to drain excess oil and serve with Marinara Sauce.