I have made these several years in a row for halloween and they are ALWAYS a hit. I intended to share the recipe last year and ran out of time! So, here you go my FAVORITE, simple and fun spooky finger recipe that will work on both a gluten free or paleo diet. I have seen people use almonds as fingernails as well- but I opted for pepperoni since we all know that pepperoni goes great with breadsticks.
If you want your breadsticks to take on a cheesy flavor- you can add shredded cheese (dairy or nondairy) to the dough and sprinkled on top!
- 2 packed cups of blanched almond four
- 1 cup of Tapioca or Arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 2 Tbs oil or melted butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Tbs Whole Psyllium Husks
- 1/2 Tsp. Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- Pepperoni cut into the shape of nails.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a sheet of parchment on a cookie sheet. Lightly oil the parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, salt and garlic powder. In a second smaller bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, psyllium husk and vinegar. Add the liquid mixture to the dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Oil your hands and form breadsticks- and then press a pepperoni fingernail in place.
- Place in oven and bake 14-15 minutes.