Grain Free Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
The other day, I saw a pumpkin cinnamon roll recipe posted on a mainstream blog. Oh how I love all things cinnamon roll- especially when you begin to introduce fall flavors. I have yet to see a grain free version that included pumpkin on the internet. That needed to change, and fast.
Due to the fact that these delicious buns are free of yeast they are REALLY fast and easy to make. They even bake quickly in the oven. The dough is easy to work with, rolls up really nice and the end result is a soft cinnamon roll that is much higher in protein and healthier than your average starchy junk bun. Their texture is a cross between a muffin and bread- this is a result of being yeast free.
Ingredients Instructions Notes Store the rolls at room temperature in a sealed container, or else they may dry out some.
Store the rolls at room temperature in a sealed container, or else they may dry out some.
Now, about that gorgeous Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting. Its optional but man is it good. I opted to make it out of goat cheese as that's a safe ingredient for me!
- 4 ounces (about 4 heaping TBS) Fresh Soft, Mild Goat Cheese (I use classic chèvre).
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Powdered Ginger
- Pinch of Salt Sugar to taste
- Pinch of Xanthan or Guar Gum (Optional)
- In a bowl, using a mixer beat the ingredients until light and fluffy.
- For the sugar you may use Honey. Maple Syrup, Stevia or Powdered Sugar. If you do not want to use white powdered sugar feel free to make your own by throwing any variety of granulated sugar into a high power blender or into a coffee grinder.
- If you would like your frosting a little bit thicker you have two options. 1) Add a little extra goat cheese if you enjoy the tart flavor. Or 2) Add a tiny pinch of xanthan or guar gum. Either gum works awesome at adding a little body to frosting recipes and thickening them. As long as you only use a tiny pinch, they will not affect the texture in a negative way.
- In the Cinnamon Roll Recipe I call for Granulated Sugar. This is vague (on purpose) Feel free to fill in the blank with your favorite unrefined granulated variety. If you opt for xylitol, be aware that it may effect the texture and make them extra chewy- I have not yet tested these buns using it.
- I really don't recommend replacing the Almond Flour- Unless you have a high powered blender and are able to make another nut or seed flour that is FINELY GROUND. Coconut flour WILL NOT WORK.
- If you are sensitive or allergic to flax meal- chia meal may work.
- I do not have recommendations today for replacing the Psyllium Husk or Eggs.
- Not interested in making Pumpkin Cream Cheese? OR would you like to send the indulgence meter sky high for these rolls? Try topping with both caramel AND pumpkin cream cheese.
- 3/4 Cup Butter/ Earth Balance/ or Coconut Oil.
- 1 1/4 Cup ” Brown Sugar” (note: this can be regular brown sugar or Sucanat or Palm Sugar)
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Sugar (Agave, Coconut Nectar, Brown Rice Syrup, or Corn Syrup)
- 6 oz (half a can) of heavy Coconut Milk (MimicCream or regular heavy cream also work)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt.
2.6http://brittanyangell.com/grain-free-pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls-glutensoycorn-free-with-directions-to-make-refined-sugar-free/This is an original recipe by Brittany Angell.
- Combine all of the Caramel ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Using a candy thermometer keep track of the temperature.
- Remove the caramel from heat once it reaches 248 degrees.
- Spoon hot caramel onto cinnamon rolls.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!