First a point of business. As many of you know facebook has changed things up a bit and its become impossible to see and follow all of the recipes and post coming from your favorite blogs and websites. 4 different people came to me just today asking for a way to make sure they did not miss my recipes. The answer is simple- subscribe via email to Real Sustenance. I promise your email addresses are safe and you will only receive a photo and a few lines of text 1-2 times per week with the latest recipe posted. This is a way to guarantee that you don't miss a post! To subscribe simply enter your email into the the little box on the upper right hand corner of this page.
Onward. Lets talk about BREAD!
Less than a week ago I posted a delicious recipe for Grain Free Spinach Tortillas. The recipe was given rave reviews- however I had a number of readers express the need for a nut free version. My dear friend Laura whose son is allergic to almonds took it upon herself to jump into the kitchen and adjust the recipe to meet her families needs. She replaced the Almond Flour with Coconut and made a number of additional adjustments to my recipe so that the wraps would work perfectly. What she ended up with was an incredible flat bread that looks and taste just like Lavash! I was so thrilled. She was kind enough to send me the recipe to share with all of you.
Laura is not a recipe developer, she's just a great mom looking to feed her kids the best. She made this flat bread 5 times in a row to get it to this place of perfection. She deserves a HUGE thank you. Please take a second and pop over to her facebook page and send her a virtual hug. She deserves many! Plus, I should note she sells fabulous high quality jewelry for really low prices. Worth checking out for holiday gifts!
Laura and I made this bread two different ways. She used spinach and I gave mine a pesto flavor. Feel free to take the recipe in either direction. This Lavash is amazing- it bends, its sturdy as heck and its perfect for about a million different uses. Not to mention that its low in starch and free of eggs .
- 4 Tbs Whole Psyllium Husk (make sure it is labeled as exactly that)
- 1 1/4 cup hot water (273 grams)
- 1/2 cup blanched Basil OR 1/2 cup thawed spinach
- 1 packed cup Coconut Flour (115 grams)
- 1/3 Cup Starch (45 grams) Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch will work.
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Cloves of Fresh Garlic Minced OR 2 Tsp. Dried Garlic.
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan or other finely shredded cheese (This ingredient is 100% optional. It can be left out and the bread will still taste fantastic. I used Sheep's pecorino cheese as we are able to consume that!)
- In a bowl mix together the hot water and psyllium husk until thickened. Pour into a food processor.
- Thaw out either 1/2 cup Spinach or Place 1/2 cup of fresh basil into boiling water for 1 minute. (If you only have fresh spinach it can be prepared also by boiling for 1 minute). Strain the leaves, do not dry them- and place the full 1/2 cup into the food processor.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process until fully mixed.
- Grab a handful of dough and roll it out in between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Using the edges of the parchment shape it into a rectangle as you roll or simply cut the dough into one using a pizza cutter. Roll out as thin as possible.
- Place into a nonstick skillet with a little bit of oil and cook over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes per each side. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
Store in a sealed bag or container or freeze for another day.
For those of you itching to experiment other poached greens may work in this recipe. Try getting creative and adding different spices! For example with the spinach curry powder would taste great! Or how about Rosemary or Sage etc. Additionally I know some of you may want to make the bread without Psyllium- my best recommendation is to try using chia. However I cannot provide a specific amount of chia to use.
If this recipe doesn't work for you check out my other two Grain Free Tortilla Recipes.