This ooey gooey cheesy deliciousness needs to be crowned the KING of Comfort Food. I took a classic mac and cheese sauce and combined it with my Grain Free Ricotta Gnocchi. Its an Oo-ey- Goo-ey bomb of deliciousness. Easily on my list of the top 5 most delicious things I have ever eaten!
Mac and cheese is a favorite here in the Angell household. I used my mother in laws famous cheese sauce recipe that my husbands is especially fond of.
If you prefer, feel free to use this sauce with a bag of gluten free pasta instead!
I don't however recommending adding this cheese sauce to any spiralized noodles..I tried many times over and was not thrilled with my results. Most veggie noodles add moisture to the sauce and thin it out too much OR add their own flavor to the sauce that isn't complimentary.
I try to post mostly dairy free recipes- so if you can't have this one I do apologize. I don't recommend making any substitutions to this recipe as it has been posted. Luckily there are over 600 other recipes on the site that should work for you!
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1/2 TBSP Starch (tapioca, arrowroot or potato)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup Milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (or Daiya Shreds)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 1 batch of My Gnocchi Recipe
- Melt butter in a pan, and cook onions until translucent.
- Add starch of choice and let mixture thicken.
- Add in cream, milk, Cheese, Parmesan, and cayenne; once cheese has melted, set aside.
- Make My Grain Free Ricotta Gnocchi and toss with sauce.
If you want to make the recipe dairy free, take out the parmesan and add in daiya shreds for the same amount. If doing, this add salt to taste!