Let me begin by saying that this list DOES NOT include all of the wonderful gluten and dairy free things on the market. And might I add that you WILL see a huge array of new products hitting your grocery store shelves this next year. I promise.
For all of those of you fortunate to have a Wegmans Grocery store close by- this will be especially easy for you. Wegmans has a very well stocked Gluten Free section. In addition every single Wegmans brand item throughout the store will have listed on the side allergen information. Look for the Orange circle with the letters "G" and the Light blue circle with the letters "D" . Another note worth mentioning- for those of you unfamiliar with the vegan diet. Vegan means NO animal product- therefore that diet contains no dairy or eggs.. However Vegans are not restricted from Gluten. So with all that said.. If you see a label that says "Gluten Free, Vegan" go right ahead and buy it.
Here Friends is the Shopping List: Safe When avoiding Gluten and Dairy.
- All Frozen or Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (Organic and Local always preferred)
- Potatoes! Potatoes! Potatoes! Any size shape or color. Potato buds are Gluten/Dairy free as long as they are unflavored. Many Tator tots, french fries, sweet potato fries, home fries.. you name is fit into this diet. Cascadian Farms brand is a safe bet!
- Dried Rice, Millet, Quinoa, Polenta, Corn Grits
- Bob Mills Gluten Free Oats. (ONLY Bob mills are safe at this point)
- Cereal: Bakery on Main Granola Cereals, Natures Path Organic Gluten Free Cereals. Envirokids Organic Gluten free Cereals. Rice Chex Cereal, Many of these companies also make breakfast bars. Glutino sells a great breakfast bar as well.
- Breads, Wraps and Waffles: Udi's Gluten Free breads, Rudi's Gluten Free Breads, All Ener-G Breads, Glutino Frozen Breads, Vans Wheat and Gluten Free Waffles, Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas, Foods By George English Muffins. Most of these can be found in the freezer section.
- Gluten Free Pasta. All GF Pasta I have come across was also dairy free. Tinkyada Joy Gluten free pasta is my personal favorite. In addition most pasta sauce is fine as long as it does not contain cheese.
- Beans- canned or dried (Avoid Barley) I suggest Eden Organics canned beans are they are BPA free.
- Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Cashew Butter. Look for these in the natural section of your grocery store.
- Milk Alternatives: Silk Almond Milk, So Delicious Coconut Milk, Rice Dream Rice Milk, Living Harvest Hemp Milk.
- Organic Local Eggs
- Cheese Alternatives: Galaxy Nutritional Foods- Rice Shreds Mozzarella Cheese flavor(contains Casein), Rice Vegan sliced cheese, Vegan Gourmet cheese alternatives (comes in blocks and several flavors) Daiya Shredded cheese (My Favorite!) Nutritional Yeast.
- Other Dairy Alternatives: Earth Balance Butter. Cream Cheese: Vegan Gourmet Cream Cheese Alternative. Sour Cream: Vegan Gourmet Sour Cream. Cream: Mimicreame (made from nuts) Yogurt: So Delicious coconut milk yogurt, Or try using Coconut Oil in recipes calling for Butter.
- Sugars: Regular sugar is gluten and Dairy free. BUT if you are looking to improve your health I would suggest: Xylitol in the place of white sugar, Sucanat in the place of Brown. And the use of Stevia for coffee and tea. Local Raw Honey. Coconut Nectar. Palm/ Coconut Sugar
- Meat: Organic and Local always preferred. Any uncooked meat is GF/DF. Avoid the pre-flavored meats unless you are a novice label reader. Tofu is also safe! (though avoid the pre-flavored variations also) Though- Soy is not the best for you healthy wise.
- Hot Dogs: Most hot dogs contain Lactic Acid Starter and are engulfed with Nitrates. Look for Sheltons Nitrate Free Uncured Turkey or Chicken Franks. You will actually be able to comprehend the ingredients list.
- Sausage: All Natural Al Fresco sausages are pre-cooked and affordable. They have a variety of flavors are marked Gluten free. As I mentioned above and uncooked sausage is also fine.
- Snacks: Popcorn Kernels, Glutino Pretzels, 100% corn tortilla chips, Many brands of unflavored Potato chips, Marys Gone Crackers (any flavor variation), Rice cakes, Corn cakes, Salsa, Hummus, Guacamole. Raw Nuts and seeds.
- Condiments: Coconut Aminos (use for soy sauce) Organic Ketchup, Mustard, Braggs Liqiud Aminos (Taste like soy sauce), Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (Other vinegars are also safe) Mayo: Vegenaise.
- Oil: Almost All Oils are safe. I would suggest experimenting with Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Olive Oil and Sesame Oil.
- Dessert: Luna and Larrys Coconut Bliss Ice Cream, So Delicious Coconut Ice cream, Pamelas Products Cookies. Wegmans sells cookies and brownies called " A Cookie for me?"
- Other Misc. : Better than Boullion Organic Condensed chicken or beef broth. (You Must buy organic in this case-otherwise it is not gluten or dairy free)
For Baking there is a huge selection of flours you can purchase. For Basic Gluten free/Dairy free Baking you will want:
- Rice Flour: Brown and White
- Garbanzo/Fava Bean Flour
- Arrowroot Powder
- Tapioca Flour
- Egg Replacer (Ener-G)
- Xanthan Gum
- Tapioca Flour
- Organic Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Gelatin (or Agar Powder (Flakes)
These Flours you will use less often but are fun to experiment with:
- Millet Flour
- Quinoa Flour
- Sweet Rice Flour
- Teff Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Buckwheat Flour
- Sorghum Flour
As I mentioned before this is only the tip of the iceberg. Please feel free to comment with additional products you use and love. Photos below picture additional products/companies worth checking out.
BEST WISHES in your Shopping Journeys,