So remember that one time when I made that scrumptious Coffee Cake, and then I made an even more scrumptious version including decadent swirls of caramel. Well, guess what, I out did myself today in the kitchen. I used the coffee cake you all know and love so very much, except this time I included nuggets of juicy cherries. You will die!!!
- 2 1/2 Cups Frozen Cherries
- 2 1/2 TBSP Water
- 1/3 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 TBSP Starch (Potato, Tapioca or Arrowroot)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Cups Packed Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Potato Starch
- 3/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (see substitution notes below)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Milk (dairy or nondairy) or Water
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add frozen cherries, water, sugar, starch and salt.
- Heat until mixture begins to thicken, (about 5 minutes).
- In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients for the coffee cake once mixed through add in the melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, milk and lemon juice.
- Line a 7 x 7 (or 8 x 9) baking pan with parchment paper and add the coffee cake batter, reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Pour in cherry filling, and pat down with a spatula.
- Add remaining dough on top of cherry filling.
- Place in oven for 45-50 minutes.
To make the coffee cake Sugar Free use xyiltol or the truvia baking blend! Any other granulated sugar of choice can also be used (such as coconut palm sugar to make the coffee cake Paleo.) Just be aware that if you use a sugar that is not white, the cake will become a darker color.