First I must confess- this is not my photo. I put this recipe together last November and filed the recipe away in my-"To be posted" folder. I'm just now getting around to sharing it- and I can't for the life of me track down the accompanying photo. The difference in my pastas appearance is that it has little specs of ground sausage.
To make this Gnocchi- I used a combination of Millet, Rice, Arrowroot and a little Potato Flour. If you do not have all 4 flours you could just use Millet or Rice in combination with the Arrowroot or Potato Flours. If you do have all 4 flours- use them as I prefer the results with the mix.
The Eggs can be omitted- throw in 2 TBS of ground flax meal instead. However I must warn you that they will not have as firm of a texture.
- 1 Lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 4 Cups Cooked Potato
- 5 TBS Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 TBS Salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 TBS Basil (dried) (Fresh Basil could also be used)
- 1 TBS Xanthan Gum (Or Guar Gum for Corn free)
- 2 1/2 Cups Millet Flour
- 3/4 Cups Rice Flour
- 2 1/4 Cups Arrowroot
- 1/2 Cup Potato Flour
- Bake or Boil Potatoes until they are fork tender. Remove from Skin and Allow to cool.
- Cook Italian Sausage and set aside. (I recommend using hot Italian sausage- you can buy links and remove from casings)
- In a Large Bowl Mash the cooled potato as finely as possible (use a potato ricer if you have one) Add the Spices, Salt, Pepper Eggs and Xanthan Gum and cooked sausage.
- Little by little add all of the flour.
- On a floured surface roll sections of the dough into a long “rope” and cut the gnocchi into small sections with a sharp knife. You can press each gnocchi with a fork, roll it on a gnocchi board or just leave the pasta as is (which is what I usually do!)
- At this point the gnocchi can be cooked or frozen. I typically get out 3 cookie trays and flour them and place the cut gnocchi on them- I then freeze. This prevents the gnocchi from sticking together. Once it has frozen it can be placed in a large freezer bag.
- To cook the Gnocchi- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil – add the gnocchi and cook until it comes to a float. (The gnocchi will finish cooking within a few minutes- and cooks even faster fresh)
l think you will enjoy the pep in flavor that the added spices and Italian Sausage add this this pasta!