Gluten Free Blueberry Lavender Scones
Scones didn't interest me until just recently when I developed a recipe for the book Iris and I have in progress. Since- I have found myself craving them often. The recipe going into the book contains Potato Starch Flour- which at the moment is off limits to my overly sensitive tummy.
This recipe has been built using Honeyville Almond Flour and Coconut Flour. Due to the request of some friends that are unable to eat coconut I will include how to make these using potato starch flour . If you can't do either of those options- then I happily hand you the reigns to take this recipe into your own test kitchen 🙂
Blueberry and Lavender is a combination that I really enjoy. If you don't have any lavender- these can be made just as well without.
- 1 1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar (Unrefined recommended- Try Xylitol, Sucanat, Cane or Palm )
- 1 Tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (aluminum free)
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Lavender
- 1 Organic Large Egg
- 1 1/2 TBS Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbs Butter (or butter substitute such as Earth Balance)
- 3/4 Cup Clean and Dry -Fresh Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees.
- In a bowl of a food proccesor combine all dry ingredients ( Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt and Lavender)
- Add the butter- process until cut into small pea sized pieces.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract- process further. The though should be crumbly (almost like pie crust!)
- Remove the dough from the bowl and add blueberries. Be patient as the dough will want to crumble- if it feels too dry gently smush a few of the blueberries with your fingers to obtain some of their juice to moisten the dough.
- Divide the dough in half and gently press into 2 disk's about 1 inch tall each. Place these disk's on a sheet of parchment paper. Using a sharp knife cut the disk's (like a pizza) into 6 triangles. Gently seperate these triangles. (these scones will be small)
- Place the sheet of parchment with the 12 triangles scones on a cookie sheet- bake 11- 13 minutes. Watch the scones towards the end of the cooking time as they tend to brown quickly. A delicate browning on the edges will indicate when the scones are finished.
- Remove from oven- allow to cool before removing from baking sheet- as they will crumble while they are hot.
Store at room temp or in the freezer for another day!
Note- some of the blueberries you will find won't want to stick to the dough- as it is not very wet. To make use of all the berries use your finger and indent the dough. Stick the berry in this indent- it will hold when baked!
*For those looking to replace the Coconut Flour*
Instead of the 1/2 Cup of Coconut Flour use 1 Cup Potato Starch Flour Instead of 2 TBS of butter- use 4 TBS Butter Add 1 Tsp. Xanthan or Guar Gum.
Follow the same instructions above!
This recipe was developed using Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour- Using Bob's Almond Flour may provide different results. However for the Coconut flour- Bob's Coconut Flour works wonderful! Another brand worth trying is Tropical Traditions.
Hope you Enjoy!