This was my first time making hush puppies. Ever.
I was shocked just how easy they were to throw together- and we thought they were absolutely delicious.
Do they taste like hush puppies? Well to be honest- I don't know- I had never had one before. But based on the descriptions that I have read through various publications over the years- I think I hit the mark.
The BACON and CHIVES in my Gluten Free and Bacon Chive Hush Puppies are completely optional.
If you do the Vegan thing- these very easily become vegan just by eliminating the bacon. If you use eggs- You can simply swap the egg replacer for 1 egg.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Bacon and Chive Hush Puppies:
5-6 Slices of thick Bacon- Cooked crisp and finely chopped.
1 bunch of scallions Finely Chopped.
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal (146 grams)
1/4 Cup Rice Flour (40 grams)
(Brown or White Rice Flour may be used- or try using Millet Flour instead)
1/4 Cup Potato Starch Flour (40 grams)
2 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1 TBS Garlic Powder
3/4 Cup Milk (Dairy or any non-dairy variation)
1 1/2 Tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 3 1/2 TBS Water (mixed together) or1 Large Egg.
Oil for Deep Frying. (you want it to reach around 3 inches in the pot)
- Cook the Bacon till crisp- allow it to cool and then chop it finely. Set aside. Chop the Scallions and set aside.
- In a Large Bowl Combine the Cornmeal, Rice Flour, Potato Starch Flour, Baking Powder, salt, pepper and garlic.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the Egg Replacer and its water.
- Add to the large bowl the Milk and Egg Replacer Mixture. Stir in the chopped Bacon and Chives.
- Heat your pot of oil until it ranges between 360-370 Degrees.
- Drop in several pre-rolled balls of hush puppies into the hot oil at once. Allow them to fry 3-5 minutes per batch. Watch as they may want to stick to the bottom of the pan. I used a spider Skimmer to pull a few loose and to transport them in and out of the hot oil.
- Serve Hush Puppies warm with a meal in which you can dip them 🙂 (I think of them- almost like fried cornbread)
I served these Gluten Free Bacon and Chive Hush Puppies with a Cajun Roasted Chicken and Smokey French Green Beans.
Feel free to experiment by adding various flavors to this recipe. Throw different fresh herbs or spices in to compliment different meals.
Hope you enjoy my Gluten Free Bacon and Chive Hush Puppies!