Fig Newtons made out of Almond Flour? Oh Yes!
I knew Honeyville Blanched Almond flour was flawless - but these cookies proved to me that any baked good is possible using it. Yes, Anything. I'm telling you- if you haven't ordered a bag to experiment with .. you really need to.
I made the dough for these cookies in my cuisinart. A Stand mixer should also do the job.
2 Cups Blanched Almond Flour
2 Cups Potato Starch Flour
4 TBS Butter (Earth Balance)
1/2 Cup Raw Agave Nectar (Or Honey)
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Salt
I used Raspberry Preserves for my filling. ( I ran out of Figs) . If you would like to make a fig filling try combining the following in a food processor. (*I have not tested this fig filling recipe*)
1/4 c. orange juice
4 tbsp. honey (or Agave)
- Preheat Oven to 325 Degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in Food Processor until they come together to a smooth dough.
- Divide dough in half- and roll half out into a narrow long shape on parchment paper to prevent sticking (see photo below)
4. Spoon a thin layer or Fruit Preserves, Jelly or Fig Filling -leaving a boarder around the edges.
5. Fold one side of the dough over itself. Gently pinch to seal the dough. Use the palms of your hands to square the edges. (Next time I will try using this folding technique).
6. Using a sharp knife cut the log into 12 (give or take) cookies. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. (no LONGER- or they will lose their perfect soft texture)
7. Repeat with 2nd portion of dough.
Yields 2 dozen cookies. Store at room temp in a sealed container or freeze.