As I mentioned on facebook a few days ago, I have been battling some pretty severe adrenal fatigue the last 6 weeks. In January I joined a gym and went full throttle taking intense kickboxing classes 4 times a week. Unknowingly I pretty much destroyed the living daylights out of my adrenals in a little over 2 weeks.
Since then I have had to slow my life down and spend the majority of my days resting in bed. My husband in addition to running his own business full time has been waiting on me hand and foot- cooking, doing all the cleaning, taking care of the dogs, the laundry, going grocery shopping and making green juice for me. In addition he's been a huge emotional support - being positive in the moments that I am not. Assuring me that I will be ok and somehow hes been able to avoid responding negatively to my overly emotional way of looking at all situations right now. I've been difficult to be around I'm sure. He's keeping me sane, and with his help I know I'm going to get through this chaotic and scary patch in my health.
This morning I woke up feeling a little bit more alive than I have in weeks. My husband was still asleep and I used the opportunity to say thank you, in the way I love doing it best.
I made him the fluffiest blueberry pancakes that I could conjure up. It took me 3 tries to get the recipe right- but I wanted only the best pancakes in the world- because that is what he deserves. I woke him up with breakfast in bed. It was just a small gesture to remind him just how much I love him.
These pancakes will melt in your mouth. They are so fluffy that they will nearly triple in size in your skillet while cooking.
Since these pancakes were created for my husband Rich ( he does not have as strict of dietary restrictions as I). I did not try to leave out the starch and eggs. Infact I'm going to tell you that these pancakes need them. Do not try to make any substitutions. With most of my recipes I provide tons of substition notes. With these I am not- they are perfect the way they are and any changes will negatively affect them. This is one of those recipes that I'm going to encourage you to make as they are written only- if you can't have these specific ingredients then I suggest moving on to a different recipe that better suites your dietary needs.
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk + 2 Tbsp (dairy or nondairy- any variety)
- 1/4 cup oil or melted butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup granulated sugar to taste (any variety. For Sugar Free use Xylitol or Erithritol)
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 packed cup coconut flour
- 1/2 packed cup of Starch (potato starch or tapioca starch or a mix of the two)
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Juice (Note: in addition to the lemon juice try adding the zest from 1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder (double acting works best).
- 1 cup (or more) of Fresh or Frozen Blueberries.
- Pour the eggs, milk and oil into a blender and process on high until light and fluffy. Add in the remaining ingredients except for the baking powder and blueberries and process until smooth. Add the baking powder and process one last time.
- Stir in the blueberries. (Or you can just plop a few into each pancake as you make them).
- Lightly oil a nonstick skillet. Pour the batter in and gently tap the pan so the batter spreads. Place a lid on top (it makes them fluffier) and cook for roughly 2 minutes on medium/low heat. Flip and cook roughly one minute on the second side keeping them covered the entire time aside from when you flip)
- Re-oil the pan with each new batch. Be cautious not to turn the heat up too high as the bottoms will burn before the inside has enough time to cook which would prevent you from getting a good clean flip.
Feel free to leave out the blueberries and add a little vanilla extract if you would like plain pancakes. Any other berry, fruit or chocolate chips can also be used.
Love pancakes? You might also try some of my other recipes:
- Gluten and Dairy Free Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Cherry Almond Pancakes (Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Corn/Grain/Refined Sugar Free)
- Snickerdoodle Pancakes (Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Grain Free)
- Grain Free Sausage Stuffed Pancake Bites. (Gluten/Dairy/Corn/Soy Free) With suggestions to make sugar and egg free.
- Extra Fluffy Chestnut & Almond Flour Pancakes (Gluten/Grain/Dairy Free)
- Buttery Blueberry Pancake Cookies. (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Starch/Dairy Free with directions to make Sugar Free.)
- In my second cookbook (The Essential Gluten Free Baking Guide Part 2) there is a make your own waffle and pancake recipe that is gluten free/vegan that allows you to swap out many different flours and change the flavor of pancakes to your preference.