I'm crazy for s'mores. I'm also crazy about developing unhealthy recipes a healthier way! Especially when I can sneak in some avocado!
Avocado's are tasty and versatile. Obviously they were made for guacamole, but until you try them in pesto, added to cake or brownies, fudgesicles or in chocolate mousse you really can't accurately comprehend just how incredible they are. Thanks to avocados's this s'more pie is absurdly delicious. AND thanks to avocado's its also dairy, soy and egg free.
This pie is so fun to throw together and its a show stopper. No need to mention how much healthier it is than your average creamy pie..no one will ever be able to tell. Make this pie..trust me.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (see note below)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (Coconut Palm Sugar, Sucanat, Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar etc will all work!)
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter (dairy or nondairy) or coconut oil.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 11 Tablespoons cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special dark)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt + a pinch
- 6 Tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag of allergen free marshmallows, chopped into quarters
- mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To prepare the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter or coconut oil and press into a greased pie pan. Bake for 7-10 minutes until light brown on the edges. Allow to cool while you prepare the mousse filling.
- To prepare the mousse: mix the avocados, cocoa powder, salt, agave, and vanilla in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour all the filling into the pie crust and cover with marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Place pie under the broiler, set on high, for about 3 minutes, or until the marshmallows toast. Store in the fridge.
For the crust you have several options: You can buy gluten free graham crackers or gluten free graham cracker crumbs. Make my GRAINFREE Graham cracker recipe and use those for your crumbs. Make my basic GLUTEN FREE Graham Cracker recipe.
I used Hershey's special dark cocoa powder..its my favorite to work with. However any cocoa powder will work! If you need a CORN FREE Marshmallow recipe- you can make my simple from scratch Organic Marshmallow recipe. (They are a blast to make, and if you have never made marshmallows from scratch its something you have to do at least once!)
Want to avoid Agave? You can experiment with other liquid sugars. I selected agave for its mild flavor- but feel free to experiment and come back and let us know how things turned out. The amount of sugar you use it totally up to you- just taste test as you go and add sweetener accordingly.