If you are looking to eat a french fries on the paleo diet, vegan diet or just looking for a healthier option.. Plantain fries have your name all over them. Because they are incredible!! Crispy as heck and so easy to make.
The general rule is that your plantains should be green for best results. As they start to get brown spots on their skin like bananas they will get sweeter and not quite as crisp all the way through. Though- they do still taste good.. just not quite like fries.
1 plantain usually is a good amount for 1 serving.. however you will find yourself (and your family) reaching for more- so plan for 2 plantains per person.
- 1-2 plantains (per person)
- Oil for coating the skillet (I recommend Coconut or grapeseed oil)
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Peel the plantains, slice them in half diagonally and then cut into the shape of french fries (the thickness is up to you!). A mandoline works great for this- but I have found cutting by hand is just as easy.
- Pour oil into frying pan - You want the plantains to be covered halfway up their sides.
- Fry until crispy over medium heat until they are crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside. They taste fantastic lightly cooked or extra well done. Flip them around in the oil a few times till cook all sides are cooked.