I love cake and I REALLY love scones. Which is why I'm ecstatic about this recipe. With a scone like crust and a soft cake like fluffy interior its the best of both worlds. When the idea came to me yesterday to create this buttermilk cake I found myself up at 11:00pm throwing ingredients into a bowl. I had my first bite at midnight and I swooned.
This breakfast cake is truly a treat. I broke some of my own rules- I was short on a number of ingredients including my non-glycemic xylitol granulated sugar. SO.. I just used organic white can sugar (Gasp! Don't hate me for it). I also included starch and eggs- two ingredients I know I will get some grief for. But hey- take this recipe for what it is. If the ingredients included work for you- MAKE THIS CAKE. If they don't- you can try subbing in another granulated sugar of choice. It should work- the texture of the cake might change slightly from sugar to sugar. The only important thing to remember here is that it must be granulated (and not a liquid sugar). The eggs however are needed! Don't mess with trying to remove them. If you are in need of another holiday goody- take a look through my hundreds of other recipes. You'll be sure to find something that works just for you!
Note: In the recipe I call for 1/2- 3/4 cups sugar. 1/2 cup will make for a cake that's a bit more tart- 3/4 cup naturally will make the cake sweeter. Its totally up to you how much you want to use. I stuck to the 1/2 cup as my husband isn't a fan or sweet things. Again, if you use a sugar different than Organic Cane the sweetness level may vary- so again, Adjust to taste. (Don't be afraid to taste that batter!)
Make this breakfast cake Thanksgiving, Christmas or any other holiday morning and I promise it will be a memorable one.
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbs Milk (any variety: dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Packed Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Starch (Potato, Tapioca or Arrowroot)
- 1/2- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar (to taste)
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil (Or melted butter or other oil)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/4 Cup Frozen (or fresh) Cranberries
- Zest of 1 large orange.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small cake pan or bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the Milk or your choice with the lemon juice. Set aside for 5 minutes or so to let the "buttermilk" develop.
- In a large bowl combine the Almond Flour, Starch, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt and stir well. Add in the Melted Coconut Oil, Eggs and "Buttermilk".
- Stir in frozen cranberries and orange zest. (Note: The frozen cranberries make the coconut oil in the batter harden- don't be alarmed if you batter suddenly thickens! It will do just what its supposed to in the oven.) Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out service. Place in oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes- A toothpick should come out clean and the edges should be slightly golden brown. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Store at room temperature in a sealed container or freeze for another day!
The Glaze I used in this recipe was simple- just a combo of Orange Juice and Powdered Sugar. I make my own non-glycemic powdered sugar by throwing some xylitol into a blender or coffee grinder. I then add a pinch of starch and it work great!
PS. If you eat Gluten Free Grains and need to avoid eggs and nut flour try my Gluten Free/Vegan Cranberry Orange Quick Bread Recipe instead! Its quite delicious!