After receiving literally hundreds of comments from various readers that they made and loved my Cranberry Orange"Buttermilk" Breakfast Cake the idea for this spin-off recipe came to mind.
This cake is SO good... that's all you need to know. Make it and love it..its my Christmas (or Holiday) gift to you!
- 1/4 Cup Milk or Water (any variety: dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Packed Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Starch (Potato, Tapioca or Arrowroot)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 Tsp. Baking Powder (double acting if you have it!)
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil (Or melted butter or other oil)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- 2.5 Tbs Maple Syrup or Agave.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small cake pan or bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the Milk (or water) or your choice with the lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the Almond Flour, Starch, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt and stir well. Add in the Melted Coconut Oil, Eggs Vanilla, Milk (or water).
- Scoop out 1/3 cup of the batter into a small bowl. To that batter add the cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Pour the (white) batter into the parchment lined pan. Then drizzle the (brown) cinnamon batter over top in a marble like swirly pattern.
- Place in oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes- A toothpick should come out clean. Let cool slightly before slicing
Store at room temperature in a sealed container or freeze for another day!
Substitutions & Ideas:
- DO NOT try to substitute almond flour for coconut (ever!) they don't work the same. If you have a problem with almonds- use another nut or seed flour instead.
- I know that many of you avoid sugar and starch. I had a reader convert my last breakfast cake to work for these dietary needs. Since this recipe is almost the same- it should work here as well. Here is the comment she left me : " I used 1/2 Tbsp Glucomannan powder (instead of starch), I increased the Baking powder to 2 1/2 tsp and I added an additional egg white. Instead of Cane sugar I used xylitol. I mixed the eggs/xylitol with a hand mixer until it was light and frothy (that helped the consistency a lot!). I baked it at 330 degrees for 55 minutes."
- Feel free to sub out the cane sugar for another lower glycemic sweetener like Coconut Palm Sugar. Keep in mind that if the sugar you select is dark in color- that will effect the color of the cake too!
- For those of you looking for a non- glycemic maple syrup I use and really like Joseph's Sugar Free Maple Flavor Syrup. It can be purchased at whole foods or ordered online.
- Want to have some fun? Make this into a zebra breakfast cake. Divide the batter in half and put the cinnamon and maple in half of the batter. If you want the batter to be darker- add more cinnamon than I have called for. Here's a youtube video that shows how to make a zebra cake.