These little rings of heaven take less than 30 minutes start to finish.. and are good for you. Yes, having an apple fried in coconut oil can be good for you! Other oils may be used, Grapeseed oil would be another great choice.
I used Powdered Stevia in this recipe as sugar destroys me. I recommend Nunaturals Stevia to avoid the "after taste" stevia can have. *IF* you are not sugar free just swap out the stevia for any form of granulated sugar to taste. Also- if you want to bread these Apple Rings with other ingredients aside from from Coconut Flakes. Go for it! Crushed Chex Cereal, Finely chopped Nuts among other things should work.
This recipe needs the egg. Without it the breading falls right off when its fried. If you are egg free- but can do other starches you might try mixing together a little arrowroot or tapioca and water. Flax meal Gel might also work. (I have not tested these ideas out- just shooting from the hip on what has worked for me in the past).
I don't recommend baking these vs. frying. The apples will become mush rather than stay firm. Any variety of apple should work for these. I used honey crisp apples which are my all time favorite.
The Coconut Flakes in this recipe are not overly crisp- but they do have a really nice texture that we enjoyed. (Coconut flour will not work.. don't bother trying. ) Sweetened Coconut flakes can be used if you are not concerned with sugar. In that case you may not need any extra added sugar.
I found I had the best results using finely ground coconut flakes. I recommend briefly running the flakes through a coffee grinder to a finer consistency. If the flakes are too large they may fall off in the oil.
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2-3 Packets of Stevia (2-3 Grams) to taste.
- 1 - 1 1/2 TBS Cinnamon
- 1/2- 1 Tsp. Sea Salt to taste.
- 1 Egg Whisked
- 2-3 Apples Cored, Peeled and sliced into Rings.
- Coconut Oil for Frying (I LOVE Garden of Life Extra Virgin Coconut oil)
- Pour oil into a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Turn on medium-low and allow to heat while you prepare the apples. You want enough oil so that the rings can float.
- In a small bowl combine the breading ingredients: Coconut Flakes, Stevia, Cinnamon and Salt. Mix together. In another small bowl whisk the egg.
- Core, peal and slice the apples into rings. Dip each ring into the egg and then into the breading. Fry each ring 1-2 minutes flipping once. Place finished rings on a paper towel and serve hot!