At night I dream about food. Vivid thoughts of of color, design and of course now since becoming a recipe developer flavor combinations are always running through my mind. This recipe was one of those ideas that I woke up with one morning terribly excited to test out. I'll admit I wasn't thinking about the flavor- I just needed to execute the lovely vision in my head. When I bit into one of these cookies today.. I was overjoyed. A vanilla sugar cookie + strawberry cream cheese + chocolate = pure heaven.
For this recipe I used my Strawberry Cream Cheese Recipe. Its free of Nuts/Soy/Corn and can be made sugar free. For those looking for some variation it can be made with any berry puree- Cherries would taste incredible, especially in this recipe. Feel free to use any other frosting recipe in its place. For those not concerned with Dairy or Soy store bought cream cheese can be mixed with fresh strawberries and used here too.
To make these cookies Sugar Free- I recommend using Xylitol in the base of the cookies. Xylitol tends to make baked goods a little extra moist the day they are baked. By the next day the baked good usually "settles" and gains the perfect texture. Use stevia in the Strawberry Cream Cheese recipe. Most chocolate chips contain sugar, even the allergy free brands. Its quick and easy to make your own! For those sensitive to caffeine Carob Powder can also be used.
- 1 Cup High Fat Cocoa Powder or Carob Powder
- 3/4 Cup of Coconut Oil Melted (Highly recommend Living Foods Virgin Coconut Oil)
- Liquid or Powdered Stevia to taste (NuNaturals brand is the best!)
- 1/4- 3/8 Tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 1/2 TBS Vanilla Extract
- Mix ingredients together!
Now lets make some cookies! These are easy, egg free and wonderful. If you are unable to use Almond Flour- I suggest testing the recipe out with other nut or seeds flours. A great variety can be found at Nuts.com. Please note that Coconut flour will NOT work.
- 2 Cups Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- (Any variety of sugar, though keep in mind that Palm or Sucanat sugar will darken the dough)
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 Tbs Oil (or melted butter, melted coconut oil etc) (I Love Garden of Life Coconut Oil)
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbs Nondairy Milk or Water
- Strawberry Cream Cheese. (See link above)
- Allergy Free Chocolate Chips melted OR Sugar Free Chocolate/Carob recipe (above)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cover 1-2 cookie trays with parchment. In a bowl combine all cookie dough ingredients. Roll dough between the palms of your hands into 16 heaping TBS balls. Flatten balls and place on prepared cookie sheets leaving 1-2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake 12-15 minutes once the edges become golden brown.
- While the cookies are baking, make the Strawberry Cream Cheese.
- Remove cookies from oven and let them cool. Remove from pan once cool.
- Sandwich between the cooled cookies the Strawberry Cream Cheese. Prepare the chocolate sauce by either melting the chocolate chips in your microwave for about a minute, or by making your own chocolate sauce. (Note: if you want the sauce a little thinner for either of these applications a tsp of coconut oil can be added).
- Place the chocolate dipped cookies on a clean sheet of parchment and place in the fridge or freezer to chill briefly until chocolate has set.