Check out this Chicken Makhani recipe...
I Love Chicken Makhani. Actually- Love isnt even the word to describe the Depth of my fondness for Chicken Makhani. When I gave up Dairy- the thought of the delightful Cream and Butter saturated dish having no place in my life anymore- was just downright depressing. My philosophy is that with a little time and creativity ANYTHING is possible. I decided Dairy Free Chicken Makhani was possible.. and I was right...OHH was I right.
Good Curry Needs Love. Lots of Love. Love and Time. It ALWAYS taste a better the next day as leftovers. Enjoy the process of this Dish.. Enjoy the Smells of the incredible spices as they heat up.. its meditative. This recipe will make a nice sized portion. It would be silly to make only a tiny bit of this dish.. NO one eats just a small Portion. Because this Dish does NOT contain Real Cream.. Feel free to freeze the extra and thaw out another day.
- 2 Large Onions Chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Fresh minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Ginger
- 1 Large Can of Tomato Sauce (roughly 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 3 bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup Coconut Plain Yogurt (You can buy one individual container and use the entire thing)
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 4 tablespoons Sugar (or Sugar Substitute- in which case you may need more than 4 TBS)
- 2 1/2 cups Unsweetened Mimiccreame (nondairy Cream Substitute)
- 2 pounds Bonless Chicken Thighs (cut into large bite size pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot or Tapioca starch.
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- In a Large Heavy Bottomed Soup Pot/ Or deep dish Skillet combine the Chopped Onions and Coconut Oil. Turn the heat to Medium low and just let them cook and cook and cook. Stir them.. watch them as they slowly become a beautiful golden Brown color. Give this process a good 30 minutes. While this is happening go and Measure all of the dry Spices into a little bowl to reserve for later. Aka the: Garam Masala, Curry Powder, Chili Powder, Cumin, Bay Leaves, Salt and Cayenne.
- Add the Freshly Chopped Garlic and Ginger. Pay CLOSE attention. Garlic cooks quickly and Burnt Garlic is not pleasant. Once you start smelling its wonderfulness its time to add the Spices. Dump your bowl of pre-measured spices into the pot and stir ,stir, stir for roughly one minute! Make sure to Enjoy the second Burst of smells that you have created. (maintain the medium low heat)
- Pour in the Can of Pureed Tomato. You could also use fresh if you have it on hand. Add the Sugar, and the Mimiccreame. Give it a good stir- cover the pot and Let the magic Begin.. allow the sauce to boil VERY gently for an hour.
- Meanwhile- Trim the fat from the Chicken Thighs and cut into large bite-size chunks. In a Frying pan Cook the Meat with the Earth balance Butter and Garam Masala and salt. Once cooked pour the contents into the large pot of Makhani Sauce.
- After About an hour of cooking add the Coconut Milk Yogurt. In measuring cup mix the water, lemon juice and cornstarch and pour into the pot. Mix it and allow it to thicken.
- Give it a Taste- Add more salt if you want, More sugar if you want sweeter, More "cream" is you want creamier. If the flavor is too "twangy" or acidic from the tomatoes- more sugar will help to combat this.
- Serve with Basmati Rice!
Try transferring this curry to a crock pot and letting it cook on low heat all day long!