Check out this Chicken Korma...
I'm an absolute sucker for creamy fattening Indian Dishes, like Chicken Korma. Back when I could eat at Indian Buffets- my plate was filled with Chicken Makhani, Vegetable Korma, Onion Bahjis, Bhature, Naan, Chicken Korma and Chana Masala. Mind you- I did not go to the Indian Buffet TOO often- or else I could never maintain a healthy weight
So.. This week I made Chicken Korma for the first time and Bhature Bread. (The recipe I came up for that was pretty good- but still needs some tampering- but Ill have it ready to post soon This Korma is about as easy as Indian Food can come. It reminded me a little of my Cashew Chicken Curry Recipe- but with its own little flare. This Korma could be made with Vegetables instead if you want to go that route. You could make it extra simple by just adding a bag of frozen mixed veggies.
Chicken Korma often times contains some of the warmer spices such as Cardamon and Cloves- this one I took in the Ginger/Garlic direction instead- just for my own curiosities sake.
Indian Take-out Chicken Korma
- 1 LB Chicken Thighs cut into Bite sized pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 inch Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 container (6oz) Plain Coconut Yogurt (or other dairy- or non dairy yogurt)
- 1 can Heavy Coconut Milk (the high fat variation)
- 1 1/2 TBS Oil For Cooking.
- In a Skillet Cook the cut chicken thighs and then set aside once done. Drain any liquid from the pan and wipe dry.
- Into the skillet pour the Oil and add the Chopped Onion. Cook 10 minutes until translucent. Add the Cumin Salt and pepper, minced Ginger and Garlic and continue cooking another minute. (Over Medium Heat)
- Add back the Cooked Chicken and mix in the Yogurt and Coconut Milk. Stir well and let it gently simmer with a lid over it for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mesh.
- If you want the Korma to be thicker- remove the lid and allow it to boil down slightly.
- Serve alongside Rice, Millet or Quinoa (whatever fits within your diet )