The combination of Chicken and Waffles was something that I had heard of here and there over the last few years! This was my first experiment. The traditional southern way entails the use of friend chicken and Maple Syrup. While I'm sure this is great (and I will be trying it at some point) I went a healthier route this time around.
This dish takes on almost a chicken and biscuit likeness- but of course with a slightly different twist! It was quick to throw together and a fun little meal. The waffles are the best I have ever had- My ideal waffle is light and extremely crispy. These fit that description. I have made them 4 times in the past 3 weeks. The downside to them is that they contain 2 eggs. I apologize to my egg intolerant friends out there! I recently added them back into my diet and found they did not cause problems for me. BUT I want you all to know that I will continue to write egg free recipes. The idea behind this site was to create recipes safe for everyone (Well almost everyone ) The eggs in THIS recipe represent me being in a rush this particular evening and really wanting a recipe that did not fight with me. Once in awhile I need to not think too hard about these substitutions (But only ONCE in awhile!)
Ok- so this recipe- will come together quick. You could add some Veggies in with the Chicken and Gravy if you feel the urge. You could even leave out the Chicken and just do veggies and gravy! Whatever Floats your Boat.
- 1 LB Organic Chicken Thighs
- 1 medium Onion Chopped
- 1 TBS Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 3/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Organic Better than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- 3 TBS Sorghum Flour
- 1 1/2 TBS Arrowroot
- 1 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 Cup Arrowroot
- 1/4 Cup Sorghum Flour
- 1 TBS Baking Powder (If you have a Corn allergy make sure your baking powder is safe)
- 1 TBS Raw Honey (or Raw Agave or Coconut Nectar)
- 1/2 Tsp Xanthan Gum (or Guar Gum for Corn Free)
- 2 1/4 Cup Non Dairy Milk ( I used unsweetened Almond)
- 2 Organic Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Oil (I used Grapeseed)
- In a Large Skillet Saute the Onion and Oil until the onion is translucent. Add the Chicken Thighs (cut into whatever size you want) and stir in the Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Pepper, Cumin and Nutmeg.
- In a bowl or large cup mix together the Water, Chicken Bouillon, Sorghum and Arrowroot. Pour this mixture into the Skillet and stir it continually as it heats and thickens into gravy. (If you would like your gravy thicker add additional Sorghum and Arrowroot to a little more water and mix in) Cover the pot and set aside while you make your waffles. (Note: If Arrowroot is boiled over high heat for a long period of time it will begin to break down and lose its thickening abilities- you may also use Corn Starch or Tapioca in its place)
- Make the Waffles. Combine all Waffle Ingredients- whisk together. Preheat your waffle Iron- spray it with non-stick spray and cook waffles for several minutes. Spray the Waffle Iron with the non-stick spray before pouring in a new set of waffles.. This helps to create an extra crispy waffle!
- Serve the Gravy and Chicken Over the Waffles! (I additionally added some Chopped Green onion on mine as a garnish!)
This recipe makes roughly 12 waffles. They freeze extremely well! If you plan to freeze them- allow them to cool completely before placing them in a sealed bad. They are amazing thrown in the toaster out of the freezer. With this recipe you will most likely have extra waffles- as the chicken and gravy portion serves about 4.
On another note- I'm spending some time learning the ins and outs of Coconut Flour this week which has been a bit of Trial and Error Process. (Which of course means less recipes to share for the time being) I'm working on a recipe for Gluten/Dairy/Vegan/Refined Sugar/Soy/Rice/ Grain Free Chocolate Sticky Buns (Now thats a mouthful!) I have them almost perfect! Should have the recipe posted before the weekend is over Just in time to make as a Valentines Treat!
Happy ALMOST Friday!