Cherries take these cookies over the top.
Free of starch- Soft and perfectly goo-ey in the center. They can be made with either Fresh Cherries or Maraschino. I tested them with both and found the Maraschino provided a stronger cherry flavor. Both variations were excellent!
The Cherries contribute to the cookies moisture and texture- if you omit them the cookies will change. I would also like to note that these can be made with Coconut Oil Rather than butter- BUT- we preferred the flavor with Butter.
In the future I will update the measurements of this recipe to include Grams- I was feeling a little lazy last evening
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 Cup Blanched Almond Flour ( Such as Honeyville- Bob's may not work!)
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1/2 Tsp. Xanthan or Guar Gum
3 1/2 TBS Softened Earth Balance Butter (or regular butter)
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar (Any Regular or Un-refined granulated Sugar will work here)
1/4 Tsp. Almond Extract
Pinch of Salt
1/4- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips are the best!)
1/4 Cup Chopped Cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) Cream the butter and Sugar. Add the Almond Extract.
- While the beaters continue to mix add in the Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Xanthan Gum and Tiny pinch of Salt.
- Turn Beaters off- stir in Chocolate Chips and Chopped Cherries. (the dough will be very thick- so put some muscle into it!
- Roll cookie dough into 8-10 balls- press down with a fork. (The dough may feel just a little oily/crumbly)
- Bake 14-15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool before removing from cookie tray and eating (they will firm up as they cool!)
Yields 8-10 cookies. Store at room temp or freeze for a later date!
For some Variation: Try treating these like thumbprint cookies and placing a cherry in the center before baking- Or drizzling melted chocolate on top. For those that eat white sugar- you might consider making a glaze out of cherry Juice, Almond Extract and Confectioners sugar to drizzle on top.