If you have been following along the last few months- I'm sure you have picked up on the fact that I just can't get enough of this glorious flavor combo. You should see the list of growing ideas in my notebook. Its my favorite
So its the dead of summer.. it happens to be cherry season and I'm aware that most of you would prefer to keep your ovens OFF. So- instead of making this into a baked version I thought I might go into the raw direction. It was delicious! To my surprise my husband that usually lacks interest in anything sweet- gobbled up 3/4 of this pie when I wasn't looking. Of course I didn't mind.
- 1 1/2 Cups Blanched Almonds (or Almond Flour/Meal - I used Honeyville)
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Dried Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (optional)
- 3 TBS Cocoa Powder (regular or raw)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 TBS Raw Agave or Honey.
- 2 TBS Melted Coconut Oil
- 4 Cups Pitted Cherries
- 1 3/4 Cup (*Pre-soaked) Cashews
- 2 1/2 TBS (more of less to your taste) of Raw Agave or Honey
- 1/3 Cup Nondairy Milk (I used almond)
- 1 Tsp. Almond Extract
- tiny pinch of salt
- 1/3- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- Process crust ingredients in a food processor. Press into a a pie pan. The crust will be crumbly- gently use both hands to shape . place prepared crust in the fridge to chill and harden.
- Clean out your food processor.
- Add of the the filling ingredients and process until very smooth. Make sure to give it a taste test and adjust the sugar level and the almond extract to your liking.
- Pour prepared filling into the crust. Cover and chill in the fridge several hours before serving.
Store pie in the fridge. Try topping pie with additional cherries and or raw cacao nibs!
*Soak the cashews for the filling only in warm water 1-2 hours prior to making the pie. Drain and pat dry the soaked cashews for adding them to the filling ingredients.
This pie will taste best when using extra virgin coconut oil as it has a beautiful pure and clean flavor!