Ever had something so delicious that upon taking your first bite you couldn't help but close your eyes and feel a trance of happiness on your tongue? These Latkes are love.
Living gluten free (plus a multitude of additional allergies and sensitivities for many of us) the most important thing you can do is focus on the foods that you CAN have, vs. those that you cannot. Considering that eggs make me ill, and having too much starch really does a number on me I was mildly stumped on how I could have (and enjoy) latkes this year . I let the wheels in my head turn until it pieced together a recipe from the list of my "safe" ingredients. Sometimes I can put together a recipe idea quickly to figure out a solution.. other times it takes me up to a few months. But the solution always comes. My new favorite phrase is " "No wish is ever impossible." I live by that philosophy.. its been my guiding truth!
I can have parsnips and I can have goat cheese! And there we have it.. and unique latke recipe that tastes BETTER than I have EVER had before.
- 2 cups grated parsnips
- 1/2- 1 cup shredded cheese any flavor or variety. (Dairy, Non- Dairy, Goat or Sheeps based)
- A Dash of Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tbs Boiling Water + 1 1/2 Tsp Starch (Tapioca Starch, Arrowroot or Potato Starch). OR 1 egg.
- Optional add in ingredients: Chives or 1 small diced onion and any flavor of spices that you dare to dream up!
- In a bowl combine the grated parsnips, cheese (using 1/2-1 cup pending how cheesy you want them- 1 cup yeilds a super cheesy end result). Add salt and pepper (and any other spices that suite your fancy).
- In the microwave heat up the 3 Tbs of water until it boils (roughly one minute). Quickly sift and whisk in the starch (sift to avoid clumping). The end result will be a thick "goo".
- Stir the starchy "goo" into the parsnip mixture. Using your hands mix the latke ingredients - after a moment of mixing you'll notice all the ingredients will start to stick and hold together fairly well.
- Heat up a nonstick skillet and add a little oil (I use Coconut oil). Press mounts of latke ingredients into flat patties and cook them in the skillet over medium high heat for several minutes on each side. They should be golden brown and cooked through.
Some of my favorite recipes that are *extra* special thanks to coconut oil
- Grain Free Fried Onion Strings. (gluten/dairy/egg free)
- Grain Free Spinach Tortillas. (Gluten/Dairy/Corn/Soy/Egg Free)
- Low Carb Thai “Peanut” Noodles (Peanut/ Sugar/Gluten/Dairy/Corn/Egg Free)
- Rosemary Parsnip Home Fries.
- Gluten Free Samoa Cookies. (Grain/Egg/Corn/Soy/Dairy/Refined Sugar Free)
- Flourless Crack Brownies. (Gluten & Allergy Free- with nut & grain free directions)
- Cinnamon & Sugar Apple Rings (grain/sugar free)
- Sugar Free Chocolate or Carob Peanut Butter Cups. Instructions included to make recipe free of Seeds & Nuts. Recipe is Gluten Free, Paleo & Vegan. (Dairy/Soy/Corn/Egg/Grain Free)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake or Pie. Free of Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Corn/Eggs/Nuts/Sugar/ and Grains. (Paleo & Vegan)
- 2 Layer Mango- Kiwi Raw Cheesecake (Gluten/Dairy/Corn/Soy/Egg Free, Vegan)
- April in the Raw Kickoff- with a Decadent 16 Layer Cacao & Peanut Butter Raw Cake
- Gluten Free/Vegan Mozzarella Sticks