A few months back I posted a Naan recipe- that quickly became one of my most popular recipes here on the site. I receive rave reviews from readers on a weekly basis how they can't believe how fantastic the texture is- despite the fact that its a grain free bread!
I took that same Naan recipe and made some adjustments and added a whole bunch of cheese to create these Cheesy Breadsticks! They are chewy, tender, soft and fluffy. Best of all they can be made with either real cheese or your favorite non-dairy variety of cheese shreds.
When these breadsticks first come out of the oven they may seem too moist- but don't worry as they start to cool down a little they will gain the perfect texture! Enjoy.
- 4 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup plain Yogurt (dairy or nondairy will work)
- 1/4 cup of mild flavored oil.
- 1 Tsp. Vinegar (any variety)
- 5 Tbs WHOLE psyllium husks. (use only whole)
- 1/2 packed cup of Coconut flour
- 1 cup Tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Baking powder (I use double acting)
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder (Fresh minced garlic would taste great too- use as much as you want of the fresh!)
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- 2 cups of shredded Cheddar Cheese (dairy or nondairy)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the first 5 ingredients (Eggs, Yogurt, Oil and Psyllium and Vinegar). Set aside.
- In a larger bowl mix together the remaining ingredients (Coconut Flour, Tapioca, Baking Powder, Garlic, Salt and Cheese).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until you end up with a dough thick enough to form into breadsticks.
- Roll out into 6- Eight inch long, 1 inch wide breadsticks. Place spaced apart on the cookie sheet. (They will spread a bit in the oven.) Brush each breadstick with a little oil.
- Place into the oven to bake for 22-24 minutes. During the last 5 minutes I like to throw some extra cheese on top of each breadstick so that it has just enough time to melt. (Theres no such thing as too much cheese!)