Paleo Corn Dogs!
April 20, 2014
The ultimate carnival food has arrived to Club Angell with NO CORN! Isn't that fun?? When we made these yesterday I had my husband taste test them and I didn't tell him we left out grain! He couldn't tell the difference!
I'm obsessed with making my recipes look exactly like the real deal.. and trying to make corn dogs without corn = white dogs. They tasted amazing but they were the wrong color! They didn't look county fair quality.
SO- I added a little turmeric to the badder! It worked like a charm- and you can't even taste it. Yay for the perfect color with some added health benefits. You can of course leave out the turmeric if you want..but do keep in mind that they won't have the same hue as the dogs I have pictured!
- 1-12 oz Package of Hot Dogs (any variety)
- Oil for Deep Frying. (to keep these guys healthy I recommend Coconut oil or Grapeseed!)
- 1 Packed cup of Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 Cup Potato Starch
- 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 TBS of granulated Sugar (any variety!)
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup of mild flavored oil or melted butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice (or Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric (OPTIONAL)
- Heat a pot bring about 2 inches of oil over medium heat while preparing the batter in a pot wide enough for the corn dogs to fry sideways.
- Mix together all batter ingredients until smooth.
- Pour batter into a tall glass.
- Working with one hot dog at a time. Whipe off excess liquid from the hot dog with a paper towel, pierce with a stick and stick in the batter. Let extra batter drip off the hot dog! (But be sure to keep on as much as possible!)
- Place the corn dog in oil to fry. Cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Place on a paper towel to cool briefly and serve warm with your favorite condiments.
I have not yet tried to freeze these! I suspect it should work ok. My husband ate them a few hours after we made them, and heated them up briefly in the microwave and said they tasted great that way!