October 18, 2014
Nothing says traditional American holiday quite like green bean casserole. We all know it and love it , but unfortunately not all of us can have it due to dietary restrictions or food allergies. Well long gone are those days! Now you CAN have green bean casserole with this new allergen free version, which I think is even better than the original! This recipe is free of gluten and eggs and can also be made paleo with the use of grass fed dairy products and also has the option of being vegan if coconut cream and dairy free butter are used! Be sure to get that wonderful textural crunch with Schar Brand Bread Crumbs on top!
- 2 TBSP Butter (dairy, non-dairy, or grass fed)
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Fresh Mushrooms, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ - ¾ Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ TBSP Tapioca or Potato Starch
- 5 TBSP Almond Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup White Wine
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream or Coconut Cream
- 2 lbs Fresh Green Beans
- ½ Schar Bread Crumbs
- 3 TBSP Butter (dairy, non-dairy, or grass fed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat melt the butter. Once melted add the chopped onion and allow to cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Halfway through the onion’s cook time add the chopped mushrooms. Continue to cook both the onions and mushrooms for another 10 minutes.
- Into the skillet add the pepper, salt, garlic powder, starch and . Coat the onions and mushrooms well with the dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients.
- Allow the gravy to cook and thicken, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring a stockpot of water to boil. Salt liberally and add the green beans. Blanch for about 3 minutes and drain.
- Stir the gravy mixture into the green beans to coat. Pour into an oiled casserole dish.
- Mix the Schar Bread Crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Top the green beans with the crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.