November 12, 2014
I recently recieved a copy of my good friend, Silvana Nardone's newest cookbook entitled Silvana's Gluten Free and Dairy Free Kitchen: Timeless Favorites Transformed and I could not be more impressed! As you all know there's nothing I love more than a timeless, classic recipe transformed into something that I can actually eat! This cookbook is filled with nothing but recipes that deliver just that.
Silvana began her journey into allergen free cooking and food preparation not because of her own food intolerances or a medical diagnosis, but because her son Isaiah was diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerances. Using her extensive kitchen knowledge and experience working as the founding editor and running the test kitchen for Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine, owning her own Italian bakery and developing recipes for major magazines such as Food & Wine, she set forth with the challenge to transform her son's favorite foods into ones that he could actually eat. Through research of other types of diets such as raw food and molecular gastronomy and armed with her own knowledge of food and cooking techniques, Silvana was able to develop her own versions of a fluffy loaf of bread, milk, yogurt, ricotta cheese and even dulce de leche!
In this newest cookbook, Silavna has really outdone herself! Any and every recipe you could ever want transformed into being gluten and/or dairy free seems to be covered. From breakfast dishes such as Blueberry Swirl Muffins to "fake-out takeout" dishes like Crispy Shrimp and Pork Potstickers and meal makeovers like Crispy Fried Chicken, all the bases are covered! Silvana was generous enough to share with us her absolutely delicious recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad! This recipe is light and fresh and removes all of the traditional allergens so that anyone and everyone can enjoy it. In this recipe she calls for canola oil, if you prefer to use a nut oil or olive oil due to your own dietary restrictions or preferences, feel free!
Silvana's Gluten Free and Dairy Free Kitchen: Timeless Favorites Transformed is a cookbook that anyone who is new to the allergen free lifestyle should definitely have. It's extensive recipe coverage and informative basics sections make transforming into allergen free cooking as easy as can be. I hope that you all find this cookbook helpful and enjoy Silvana's delicious Chinese Chicken Salad!
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari
- ¼ cup well-stirred tahini
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar or ?apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cup canola oil
- One 10-ounce bag shredded coleslaw mix (4 cups)
- ¼ pound snow peas, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 oranges, peeled, white pith removed, and cut between the membranes to remove segments
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted?
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a blender, process the tamari, tahini, vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper until combined. Stream in the sesame oil and canola oil and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss together the coleslaw mix, snow peas, cucumber, carrots, scallions and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter. Top with the chicken, oranges, almonds and sesame seeds and serve.